Do I need Commercial Auto Insurance for my business

Commercial Auto Insurance

If you own a landscaping business or another construction business then you need to make sure you have a commercial auto insurance policy.

This is a huge mistake we see business owners making, especially ones like a landscaper, they do not properly insure their vehicles that they are using and driving for business.

Yes, if you have a landscaping business and you have a pickup truck, if you have a van or something that you are transporting equipment, materials, or anything in between, you need to make sure that you have the proper insurance coverage with a commercial auto policy.

YouTube video

What about my Personal Auto Policy?

A personal auto policy is not geared to protect your business.

There could be exclusions built into this policy for the vehicles being used in business use.

There could also be gaps in coverage when it comes to protecting the business. If you get into an accident while you are going to a job or you’re transporting equipment, they’re going to know you’re doing something for business and they can potentially sue the business.

Now, what if you have employees driving the vehicle?

Are they covered if it’s still on a personal auto policy?

The answer might be no. So you want to make sure that there isn’t gaps in your coverage and that you are ensuring the vehicle that you are using for business the proper way.

Landscaping or Construction Trailers

Another reason you want to do this has to do with the fact that most landscaping or construction businesses are pulling a trailer, whether it’s an enclosed trailer or just an open landscaping trailer with your equipments, your lawn mowers, your weed wackers, and rakes and shovels.

You want to make sure that that is covered correctly. That’s not going to be covered on your personal auto policy. You want to make sure that that not only for liability purposes, but also for physical damage.

One of the greatest claim risks that we see is for theft claims on trailers especially enclosed trailers.

Every contractor knows the amount money in tools that is stored in these trailers and what it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to replace everything that is in there.

Yes, we know that a commercial auto policy is more expensive than a personal auto policy but it should be, it is offering more coverage to help protect you and your business.


If you are a contractor who also does snowplowing, which is the majority of landscapers and contractors here in Central New York. Than you can not be using a vehicle that is on your personal auto policy.

This could leave you with gaps in protection in the event you cause any property damage or bodily injury while plowing.

Insurance Agent

If you need help with your landscaping or contracting business in general to make sure that you have the right insurance coverage that’s not only going to protect you, but also your business and your employees.

The team at Crowley Insurance specializes in contractors insurance and have custom programs specifically for landscapers and snow plowers.

We’d be glad to help you get the proper insurance, give you the different options, so that we can make sure that your business is running as efficiently as possible.

If you are ready to start working with an agency that is willing to help you properly plan your business, reach out to the team at Crowley Insurance by clicking on the button below. 



Getting the process couldn't be easier! Enter some basic info below to start the process right now:


Visit Our Office

202 N. Center St.
East Syracuse, NY 13057
Call Email Claims Payments